London, ON - Your skills and expertise as a certified Journeyperson Substation Electrician, or similarly qualified professional, will be fully utilized in this exciting career opportunity with London Hydro as a Substation Maintenance Technician.
Working under the direction of the Electrical Maintenance & Stations Supervisor, or designate, you’ll inspect, maintain and modify substation, subdivision, and network electrical systems and associated equipment and apparatus.
This position involves working, on a regular basis, with hazardous materials, in close proximity to heavy traffic, and in confined spaces.
As part of your responsibilities as a Substation Maintenance Technician, you will:
- Work on energized lines and equipment of up to 27.6 KV.
- Inspect, test, install, maintain and repair substation electrical equipment, circuit breakers, transformers, reclosures, load-break switches, meters, batteries, chargers and protection and control relays.
- Install and maintain the network system, including transformers, protectors, high-tension switches and associated electrical equipment.
- Perform tests and obtain regular load readings.
- Install and maintain sundry electronic control telemetry equipment in electrical substation circuits to board level.
- Install, test and maintain supervisory cable up to 150 pairs.
- Test and locate faults of high-voltage cables.
- Perform switching duties.
- Test and handle oil with PCB content.
- Modify and implement changes in electrical blueprints.
- Maintain and prepare required reports, material lists, drawings, as-built prints and requisitions.
- Inspect electrical installations performed by outside contractors.
- Use various pieces of test equipment.
- Assist other departments with both scheduled and emergency work, as needed.
- Assist in the training of apprentices and learners.
- Work standby duty on a designated schedule.
- Adhere to all Occupational Health & Safety Act rules and regulations, the E&USA rule book, London Hydro work practices and London Hydro’s Health & Safety Management System.
The qualified Substation Maintenance Technician we seek for this opportunity must be able to meet the following requirements:
- Community college graduation from an Electrical Engineering Technician program or equivalent.
- Class G Driver's Licence (a driver's licence and an ability to drive are required in order to discharge the essential duties of the position).
- We are currently seeking a candidate who is MEA Journeyperson Substation Electrician Certified. Applicants who do not meet this requirement may be considered.
About London Hydro
For over a century, London Hydro has been providing safe, affordable, and reliable electricity to a diverse customer base. We are one of the area’s larger employers, with a highly skilled and motivated team of people across many different occupations. Through this dedicated team and an extensive network of overhead and underground power lines, we power over 150,000 homes and businesses and continue to improve the way people live and work.
Living in London offers many lifestyle benefits. Develop your career at London Hydro.
Watch the short video below for more details!
For more information and to apply:
To find out more about London Hydro, as well as this and other opportunities to join our team, please visit our website at www.londonhydro.com. If you are both qualified and safety-focused, we invite you to submit your cover letter and resume as a single document, saving the file as your last name and first name with no spaces (i.e., LastnameFirstname), by Monday, September 20, 2021, to: Human Resources Department, London Hydro Inc., P.O. Box 2700, London, ON N6A 4H6. Fax: 519-661-5164. E-mail (quote Substation Maintenance Technician in the subject line and ensure that you attach your resume): firstname.lastname@example.org. The successful candidate will be required to complete a Criminal Record Check prior to the commencement of employment. An education check will also be conducted.
London Hydro is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation is available under the Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
While we appreciate all applications received, only those invited for an interview will be acknowledged. Any personal information submitted will be managed in accordance with the requirements of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used only to determine eligibility for employment.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, this advertisement is directed to applicants who are authorized to work in Canada.