London, ON - Are you interested in a rewarding career in electrical distribution system maintenance? If so, consider joining London Hydro as a Cable / URD Maintainer within our Electric Underground Systems
Department. We are seeking a 3rd or 4th year apprentice (or equivalent) to carry out varied underground
electrical distribution system work. Working under the direction of the Electric Underground Systems Supervisor, or designate, you will install, repair and maintain the underground electric system in the City of London.
As part of your responsibilities as a Cable / URD Maintainer, you will:
- Perform the duties of an Underground Plant Locator.
- Work on energized cable and equipment of up to 27.6 KV.
- Install, splice, and maintain lead and polymer primary cables and secondary cables in both the downtown network and residential distribution systems.
- Perform switching in electrical equipment with voltages of up to 27.6 KV.
- Isolate and ground cables and equipment.
- Respond to customer problems related to no voltage, part voltage, or unusual voltage situations, and repair or refer the problem to the appropriate department or third party.
- Install and connect commercial, industrial and residential services in both the downtown network and residential distribution systems.
- Inspect electrical installations performed by outside contractors.
- Use various pieces of test equipment.
- Read blueprints and drawings, and requisition material.
- Assist other departments with both scheduled and emergency work, as needed.
- Assist in the training of apprentices and learners.
- Work on a regular basis with hazardous materials, including lead and asbestos, in close proximity to heavy traffic, and in confined spaces.
- Perform work requiring heavy physical effort on a regular basis.
- Work standby duty on a designated schedule.
- Adhere to all Occupational Health & Safety Act rules and regulations, the E&USA rule book, London Hydro work practices, and London Hydro’s Health & Safety Management System.
The qualified Cable / URD Maintainer we seek for this opportunity must be able to meet the following
- Successful completion of Grade 12 PLUS specialized trades certification, or equivalent.
- A Class AZ Driver's Licence (a driver's license and an ability to drive are required in order to discharge the essential duties of the position).
- MEA Journeyman Power Cable Person Certificate.
Please note that applicants who receive any conditional offer of employment from London Hydro will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada as a condition of employment and to maintain their status as fully vaccinated as a condition of continued employment. London Hydro will consider individual requests for accommodation by applicants who cannot be fully vaccinated due to grounds protected under the Human Rights Code.
About London Hydro
For over a century, London Hydro has been providing safe, affordable, and reliable electricity to a diverse
customer base. We are one of the area’s larger employers, with a highly skilled and motivated team of
people across many different occupations. Through this dedicated team and an extensive network of
overhead and underground power lines, we power over 150,000 homes and businesses and continue to
improve the way people live and work.
Living in London offers many lifestyle benefits. Develop your career at London Hydro.
Watch the short video below for more details!
For more information and to apply
If you are both qualified and safety-focused, we invite you to submit your cover letter and resume as a single document, saving the file as your last name and first name with no spaces (i.e., LastnameFirstname), by Friday, October 22, 2021, to: Human Resources Department, London Hydro Inc., P.O. Box 2700, London, ON N6A 4H6. Fax: 519-661-5164. E-mail (quote Cable / URD Maintainer in the subject line and ensure that you attach your resume): email@example.com . The successful candidate will be required to complete a Criminal Record Check prior to the commencement of employment. An education check will also be conducted.
London Hydro is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation is available under the Human Rights
Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
While we appreciate all applications received, only those invited for an interview will be acknowledged.
Any personal information submitted will be managed in accordance with the requirements of the
Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used only to determine
eligibility for employment. In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, this advertisement is directed to applicants who are authorized to work in Canada.