Your knowledge of high-voltage and low-voltage systems and ability to develop solutions that will improve efficiency and effectiveness will drive your success as an Electric Engineering Technologist within London Hydro’s Engineering Department.
Working under the direction of the Manager Design Engineering, or designate, you will perform the duties of an Electrical Engineering Technician, demonstrating leadership behaviour on a consistent, day-to-day basis as you plan and design the electrical facilities and distribution system. This is an exciting opportunity for you to use the latest technology to innovate and develop better methods of distributing power, maintaining existing systems and solving operational problems.
As part of your responsibilities as an Electric Engineering Technologist, you will:
- Design and select distribution equipment, processes and systems.
- Participate in short- and long-term planning.
- Represent London Hydro at meetings and events.
- Develop solutions to improve departmental efficiency and effectiveness.
- Compile technical and operational data and prepare reports.
- Prepare estimates and budgets.
- Perform studies, make calculations and provide design guidelines.
- Prepare, develop, coordinate and implement projects and programs.
- Interpret, update and prepare specifications, technical drawings or instructions, tender documents, electrical construction standards and department policies and practices.
- Assist in the training of new personnel.
- Research, evaluate, specify, recommend and request new electrical materials and equipment.
- Design electrical systems for London Hydro facilities, using applicable codes (e.g. CSA, OESC, ESA).
- Adhere to all Occupational Health & Safety Act rules and regulations, the E&USA rule book, London Hydro work practices and London Hydro’s Health & Safety Management System.
The qualified Electric Engineering Technologist we seek for this opportunity must be able to meet the following requirements:
- Community college graduation from an Electrical Engineering Technology program or equivalent.
- OACETT Certification.
- Knowledge of the planning, design and operation of high-voltage overhead and underground systems, including substations, and low-voltage network systems.
- Strong interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills.
- A Class G Driver’s Licence (a driver's licence and an ability to drive are required in order to discharge the essential duties of the position).
About London Hydro
For over a century, London Hydro has been providing safe, affordable and reliable electricity to a diverse customer base. We are one of the area’s larger employers, with a highly skilled and motivated team of people across many different occupations. Through this dedicated team and an extensive network of overhead and underground power lines, we power over 150,000 homes and businesses, and continue to improve the way people live and work.
Living in London offers many lifestyle benefits. Develop your career at London Hydro.
Watch the short video below for more details!
FOR MORE INFORMATION AND TO APPLY
To find out more about London Hydro, as well as this and other opportunities to join our team, please visit our website at www.londonhydro.com. If you are both qualified and safety-focused, we invite you to submit your cover letter and resume as a single document, saving the file as your last name and first name with no spaces (i.e., LastnameFirstname), by Friday, January 22, 2021, to: Human Resources Department, London Hydro Inc., P.O. Box 2700, London, ON N6A 4H6. Fax: 519-661-5164. E-mail (quote Electric Engineering Technologist in the subject line and ensure that you attach your resume): firstname.lastname@example.org. The successful candidate will be required to complete a Criminal Record Check prior to the commencement of employment. An education check will also be conducted.
London Hydro is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation is available under the Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
While we appreciate all applications received, only those invited for an interview will be acknowledged. Any personal information submitted will be managed in accordance with the requirements of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used only to determine eligibility for employment.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, this advertisement is directed to applicants who are authorized to work in Canada.