Are you a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) – or a CPA-in-the-making – looking to advance your career? Can you monitor corporate activities and identify ways to improve internal systems and controls? Are you skilled in financial reporting and statistical analysis? If your answer in all cases is an enthusiastic YES, this exciting opportunity in London Hydro’s Financial Services Department is not to be missed.
Reporting to the Director of Financial Accounting, or designate, and as a member of the Accounting Group, you’ll perform various financial and statistical analyses, as well as accounting, and general ledger reconciliations. Leveraging your progressive accounting, auditing and financial analysis experience, you’ll also assist with the budgeting process, the monitoring of actual results to budget, and external audits.
More specifically, as a Financial Analyst within the Accounting Group, you will:
- Monitor operating, capital asset and balance sheet activities and maintain policies and procedures to ensure compliance with accounting standards and directives issued under International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and by the Ontario Energy Board, while also accommodating internal financial reporting requirements.
- Complete various general ledger reconciliations, journal entries, indirect cost allocations and importing of subsystem transactions.
- Review capital project categories and business unit operating activities, perform analyses, discuss results, and obtain explanations for variances between budget and actual spending.
- Monitor and analyze cost centre labour activities, including variance analyses and explanations for each cost centre and at the individual employee and position level.
- Review and analyze year-over-year actual capital and operating spending results, and develop and update narratives to support the Cost of Service Rate Application.
- Monitor corporate activities to pursue betterments in internal systems and controls.
- Assist in the completion of monthly and year-end financial reporting as well as the year-end process, including completion of working papers and external auditor inquiries.
- Perform reconciliations, remittances and annual reporting in connection with various remittances such as T4s, T5s, T4As, EHT, WSIB, OMERS, HST and NR withholdings.
- Assist in the development of operating budgets, including performing analyses and projections, summarizing significant year-over-year changes and providing explanations, and spreading the budget to the appropriate accounting periods.
- Design, maintain and complete various financial reports and statistical analyses to support financial results.
- Assist in completing the periodic regulated Rate Application, and maintain appropriate analysis and documentation to support the Application and other special projects as they arise.
- Adhere to all Occupational Health and Safety Act rules and regulations, the IHSA's Electrical Utility Safety Rules, London Hydro safe work practices and procedures, and all components of London Hydro's health and safety program.
The qualified Financial Analyst we seek must be able to meet the following requirements:
- You have completed a recognized CPA accounting program (CA/CMA/CGA) or are currently enrolled in the final level of the program.
- You are proficient in financials software – JD Edwards – as well as Excel, Word and Access.
- You bring five (5) years of commensurate progressive accounting, auditing and financial analysis experience.
About London Hydro
For over a century, London Hydro has been providing safe, affordable and reliable electricity to a diverse customer base. We are one of the area’s larger employers, with a highly skilled and motivated team of people across many different occupations. Through this dedicated team and an extensive network of overhead and underground power lines, we power over 150,000 homes and businesses, and continue to improve the way people live and work.
Living in London offers many lifestyle benefits. Develop your career at London Hydro.
Watch the short video below for more details!
For more information and to apply
To find out more about London Hydro, as well as this and other opportunities to join our team, please visit our website at www.londonhydro.com. If you are both qualified and safety-focused, we invite you to submit your cover letter and resume as a single document, saving the file as your last name and first name with no spaces (i.e., LastnameFirstname), by Friday, October 2, 2020, to: Human Resources Department, London Hydro Inc., P.O. Box 2700, London, ON N6A 4H6. Fax: 519-661-5164. E-mail (quote Financial Analyst in the subject line and ensure that you attach your resume): email@example.com. The successful candidate will be required to complete a Criminal Record Check prior to the commencement of employment. An education check will also be conducted.
London Hydro is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation is available under the Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
While we appreciate all applications received, only those invited for an interview will be acknowledged. Any personal information submitted will be managed in accordance with the requirements of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used only to determine eligibility for employment.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, this advertisement is directed to applicants who are authorized to work in Canada.