Full-time position – London, ON
As a Powerline Maintainer you will work under the direction of a Line Supervisor to build, rebuild, inspect, test, repair, modify and maintain all overhead electrical distribution lines and associated apparatus.
As part of your responsibilities as a Powerline Maintainer, you will:
- Perform the duties of a Radial Boom Operator/Ground Helper.
- Work live voltages with live line tools hands on and/or appropriate protective equipment on energized circuits up to 27.6 KV.
- Erect, re-arrange, maintain and remove all overhead transmission and distribution power lines of all classes and voltages.
- Obtain personal work protection hold offs.
- Apply, remove and transport single phase and watt/hour meters following ISO certification procedures.
- Carry out switching instructions and apply for and hold work permits when necessary.
- Climb poles using spurs when necessary.
- Use various pieces of test equipment.
- Inspect electrical installations performed by outside contractors.
- Refer customer inquiries and complaints to appropriate person.
- Write reports and requisition material.
- Construct and maintain various apparatus as per manufacturer's and engineering standards.
- Interpret blueprints and drawings.
- Assist other departments with both scheduled and emergency work as required.
- Assist in the training of apprentices, learners and temporary labourers.
- Work from aerial devices on a regular basis.
- Work with hazardous materials on a regular basis.
- Work requires heavy physical effort on a regular basis
- Work in close proximity to heavy traffic on a regular basis.
- Work standby duty on a designated schedule and occasional shifts.
- Adhere to all Occupational Health and Safety Act rules and regulations, the IHSA's Electrical Utility Safety Rules, London Hydro safe work practices and procedures, and all components of London Hydro's health and safety program.
- Perform other duties related to the above job purpose.
The qualified Powerline Maintainer we seek for our Line Department must be able to meet the following requirements:
- Driver’s License Class DZ (a driver's license and an ability to drive is required in order to discharge the essential duties of the position).
- The successful candidates will be required to maintain the MEA Journeyperson Power Line Certificate of Registration or Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities Power Line Maintainer's Certificate of Qualification and Rubber Glove Techniques to 36KV.
Along with a competitive salary, this permanent, full-time position offers an attractive benefits package, including a pension plan (OMERS), 16 days’ vacation per year (with a credit for utility experience), and professional development opportunities, all in a positive working environment conducive to individual and team success.
NOTE: Please note that applicants who receive any conditional offer of employment from London Hydro will be required to disclose their COVID-19 vaccination status to London Hydro as a condition of employment, in accordance with London Hydro’s COVID-19 Vaccination Status Disclosure Policy.
About London Hydro
For over a century, London Hydro has been providing safe, affordable and reliable electricity to a diverse customer base. We are one of the area’s larger employers, with a highly skilled and motivated team of people across many different occupations. Through this dedicated team and an extensive network of overhead and underground power lines, we power over 166,000 homes and businesses, and continue to improve the way people live and work.
Living in London offers many lifestyle benefits. Develop your career at London Hydro.
Watch the short video below for more details!
See our website for information about London Hydro and Sustainability / ESG.
For more information, and to apply:
To find out more about London Hydro, as well as this and other opportunities to join our team, please visit our website at www.londonhydro.com. If you are both qualified and safety-focused, we invite you to submit your cover letter and resume as a single document (in .pdf or .docx format only), saving the file as your last name and first name with no spaces (i.e., LastnameFirstname) to: Human Resources Department, London Hydro Inc., P.O. Box 2700, London, ON N6A 4H6. Fax: 519-661-5164. E-mail (quote Powerline Maintainer in the subject line and ensure that you attach your resume): firstname.lastname@example.org. The successful candidate will be required to complete a Criminal Record Check prior to the commencement of employment. An education check will also be conducted.
London Hydro is committed to fostering a corporate culture and climate that values and supports a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization. We know that our employees are our greatest strength, and that we will achieve our goals through the innovation, integrity, and agility of a diverse, engaged and talented workforce.
London Hydro is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation is available under the Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
While we appreciate all applications received, only those invited for an interview will be acknowledged. Any personal information submitted will be managed in accordance with the requirements of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used only to determine eligibility for employment.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, this advertisement is directed to applicants who are authorized to work in Canada.