Permanent, full-time position – London, ON
Do you have experience with Windows and Linux operating systems, VoIP and Contact Center technologies, administering SSL and other security features on webservers and cloud computing services?
Are you proficient in data centre best practices and able to maintain a high degree of confidentiality?
If so, your expertise and troubleshooting skills as a System Administrator are in demand within London Hydro’s Information Systems Department.
Under the direction of the Manager, IT Infrastructure, or designate, you will be responsible for architecting, planning, problem-solving, deploying, administering and maintaining all information technology infrastructure, including, but not limited to, cloud computing, storage, networks, servers, VoIP and Contact Center, data backup and recovery, and on-premise data centre. As a System Administrator, you will be expected to ensure consistent, reliable installations, configurations, maintenance, security, monitoring, performance, and business continuity. In addition to providing day-to-day support of IT systems, you will work closely with Technical Analysts, Business Systems Analysts, LAN Administrators, the Cyber Security team and other IT team members and/or external contractors, as required.
As part of your responsibilities as a System Administrator, you will:
- Set up, install, configure, manage and support internal and/or external computer systems, networks, operating systems, and select business applications. Act as the technical escalation point to the Technical Analyst and various groups in the organization. Provide operational and technical support in hardware and software migration and upgrade efforts.
- Architect, build, and maintain complex solutions using various technologies utilizing cloud and on-premise solutions.
- Monitor and maintain licences for operating systems and applications.
- Develop and maintain all systems, applications, security, network configurations, and processes in relation to the job function. Design and recommend baseline security configurations in consultation with the Cyber Security team, ensure security compliance in all installations and uphold Cyber Security policies, standards and procedures to ensure compliance with industry practices.
- Plan, schedule, and communicate system maintenance activities.
- Create and maintain system documentation and solution architecture records.
- Monitor and troubleshoot systems performance issues, and recommend and implement solutions.
- Lead, develop, monitor, maintain and test the information technology backup and disaster recovery plan and procedures.
- Research and evaluate the feasibility of new technologies, and evaluate and test new hardware, business applications, operating systems and cloud services.
- Perform the duties of the Technical Analyst.
- Adhere to all Occupational Health and Safety Act rules and regulations, the IHSA's Electrical Utility Safety Rules, London Hydro safe work practices and procedures, and all components of London Hydro's health and safety program.
The qualified System Administrator we seek for this opportunity must be able to meet the following requirements:
- Successful completion of a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent from a recognized university.
- At least five (5) years of experience with Windows and Linux operating systems, enterprise storage systems, networking, VMware, cloud computing (AWS and GCP), Microservices, Kubernetes, Kafka, DevOpsSec, as well as, but not limited to, VoIP and contact centre, corporate email, AD, GPO, DNS, DHCP, Firewall, and encryption technologies, and experience administering SSL and other security features on webservers and cloud computing services.
- Experience cabling, installing, configuring and maintaining servers, and proficiency in data centre best practices.
- Experience with modern development languages, tools, shell scripting, platforms and development processes and guidelines, and developing, building, and maintaining CICD pipelines.
- Experience with HP and Cisco servers, storage and networking systems.
- Working knowledge of Oracle, MongoDB, and SAP Servers.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills.
- Experience with system configuration management tools (Ansible & Terraform), logical file systems (LVM), and client/server environments.
- In-depth system configuration knowledge.
- Technology certifications (VMware, Windows, Linux, AWS and GCP) would be an asset.
- A high degree of confidentiality.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, written and oral communication, leadership and interpersonal skills.
NOTE: Please note that applicants who receive any conditional offer of employment from London Hydro will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada as a condition of employment and to maintain their status as fully vaccinated as a condition of continued employment. London Hydro will consider individual requests for accommodation by applicants who cannot be fully vaccinated due to grounds protected under the Human Rights Code.
About London Hydro
For over a century, London Hydro has been providing safe, affordable and reliable electricity to a diverse customer base. We are one of the area’s larger employers, with a highly skilled and motivated team of people across many different occupations. Through this dedicated team and an extensive network of overhead and underground power lines, we power over 160,000 homes and businesses, and continue to improve the way people live and work.
Living in London offers many lifestyle benefits. Develop your career at London Hydro.
Watch the short video below for more details!
For more information, and to apply:
To find out more about London Hydro, as well as this and other opportunities to join our team, please visit our website at www.londonhydro.com. If you are both qualified and safety-focused, we invite you to submit your cover letter and resume as a single document (in .pdf or .docx formal only), saving the file as your last name and first name with no spaces (i.e., LastnameFirstname), by Friday, July 8, 2022, to: Human Resources Department, London Hydro Inc., P.O. Box 2700, London, ON N6A 4H6. Fax: 519-661-5164. E-mail (quote System Administrator in the subject line and ensure that you attach your resume): email@example.com. The successful candidate will be required to complete a Criminal Record Check prior to the commencement of employment. An education check will also be conducted.
London Hydro is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation is available under the Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
While we appreciate all applications received, only those invited for an interview will be acknowledged. Any personal information submitted will be managed in accordance with the requirements of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used only to determine eligibility for employment.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, this advertisement is directed to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.