Construction Inspector - London, ON
Are you a Civil Engineering Technician or similarly qualified professional looking for a career challenge? Can you demonstrate leadership behaviour on a consistent, day-to-day basis? If so, consider joining London Hydro as a Construction Inspector within our Civil Construction Department.
Working under the direction of the Civil Construction Supervisor, or designate, you will inspect all new and replacement civil and utility installations (e.g. duct systems, street lighting facilities, telecom, cable installations, facilities and transformer installations) for adherence to specifications.
- As part of your responsibilities as a Construction Inspector, you will:
- Inspect the installation of all civil electrical structures, vaults and transformer bases, cable in duct installations and transformer placements in residential subdivisions, apartments and commercial plazas.
- Coordinate the priority of project installations with contractors and review contractor invoices for accuracy and quantities before payment approval.
- Review final project costs and investigate variances, and calculate cost of jobs for billing purposes.
- Provide information and consultation to contractors regarding London Hydro construction methods and specifications, using effective customer service-orientated communication skills.
- Identify the need for, and assist in preparing, change orders.
- Provide quality control to ensure contractors conform to London Hydro standards, inspecting and recording deficiencies, discussing quality issues with the contractor’s supervisor, and escalating issues to the Civil Construction Supervisor for resolution.
- Be responsible for Assumption Inspections for City of London approval.
- Prepare joint use billings for final approval.
- Read and interpret drawings for London Hydro and various utilities, complete the daily logbook, record field changes, and update drawings to assist the GIS Department with revising distribution system mapping information.
- Prepare Bills of Materials, monitor the availability of materials, and issue material requisitions for both London Hydro and Contractors.
- Work with hazardous materials on a regular basis.
- Adhere to all Occupational Health & Safety Act rules and regulations, the E&USA rule book, London Hydro work practices and London Hydro’s Health & Safety Management System.
The qualified Construction Inspector we seek for this opportunity must be able to meet the following requirements:
- Graduation from a community college Civil Engineering Technician program or equivalent.
- A Class G Driver’s Licence (a driver’s licence and an ability to drive are required in order to discharge the essential duties of the position).
- Ability to work with blueprints, sketches, technical manuals, specifications and reports.
- Intermediate working knowledge of Microsoft Office (including Excel) / Google Suite/Netviewer.
- Strong interpersonal and communication (verbal, written and computer) skills.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative.
- At least 3 years’ related field experience.
About London Hydro
For over a century, London Hydro has been providing safe, affordable and reliable electricity to a diverse customer base. We are one of the area’s larger employers, with a highly skilled and motivated team of people across many different occupations. Through this dedicated team and an extensive network of overhead and underground power lines, we power over 150,000 homes and businesses and continue to improve the way people live and work.
Living in London offers many lifestyle benefits. Develop your career at London Hydro.
Watch the short video below for more details!
FOR MORE INFORMATION AND TO APPLY
To find out more about London Hydro, as well as this and other opportunities to join our team, please visit our website at www.londonhydro.com. If you are both qualified and safety-focused, we invite you to submit your cover letter and resume as a single document, saving the file as your last name and first name with no spaces (i.e., LastnameFirstname), by Monday, March 8, 2021, to: Human Resources Department, London Hydro Inc., P.O. Box 2700, London, ON N6A 4H6. Fax: 519-661-5164. E-mail (quote Construction Inspector in the subject line and ensure that you attach your resume): firstname.lastname@example.org. The successful candidate will be required to complete a Criminal Record Check prior to the commencement of employment. An education check will also be conducted.
London Hydro is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation is available under the Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
While we appreciate all applications received, only those invited for an interview will be acknowledged. Any personal information submitted will be managed in accordance with the requirements of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used only to determine eligibility for employment.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, this advertisement is directed to applicants who are authorized to work in Canada.