Electric Engineering Technologists
Build up your leadership capabilities in these roles for qualified Electric Engineering Technologists with the London Hydro engineering team
Under the direction of an Engineer, you will plan and design the electrical facilities and distribution system as a key member of our Engineering Department. This is an exciting opportunity to use the latest technology to innovate and develop better methods of distributing power, maintaining existing systems and solving operational problems. London Hydro is offering this full-time position with an attractive compensation and benefits package.
Specifically, in addition to the above functions, as an Electric Engineering Technologist, you will:
- Plan, design, analyze, and/or inspect distribution equipment, processes and systems. Conduct site visits/inspections and collect and record field information. Liaise with customers and/or contractors as required. Recommend plans, designs, corrective action or modifications to equipment, standards and/or processes.
- Contribute to short- and long-term planning of the electrical grid, and for continuous improvement of asset management programs to ensure safety, reliability and efficiency.
- Represent London Hydro at meetings and events as assigned.
- Use the latest technology to innovate and develop better methods of distributing power, maintaining, monitoring, and reporting on assets, reliability, programs and systems and solving operational problems.
- Compile and analyze technical and operational data and prepare reports.
- Prepare estimates and budgets.
- Perform studies, make calculations, prepare reports, and provide design guidelines.
- Recommend, prepare, develop, coordinate and implement projects and programs.
- Interpret, update and prepare specifications, technical drawings or instructions, tender documents, electrical construction standards and department policies and practices.
- Demonstrate leadership behavior on a consistent, day-to-day basis.
- Perform the duties of an Electrical Engineering Technician.
- Develop solutions to improve department efficiency and effectiveness.
- Assist in training of new personnel.
- Research, evaluate, specify, recommend and request new electrical materials and equipment.
- Understand and ensure compliance with relevant regulations, standards, and codes (e.g. CSA, OESC, ESA, Conditions of Service, Ontario Reg 22/04, IESO).
- Use personal computer and appropriate software proficiently as required.
- Adhering to all Occupational Health & Safety Act rules and regulations, the E&USA rule book, London Hydro work practices and London Hydro’s Health & Safety Management System.
The qualified Electric Engineering Technologist we seek will be able to meet the following requirements:
- Graduate of Community College in an Electrical Engineering Technology program or equivalent
- OACETT Certified
- Knowledge of the planning, design, operation of high-voltage overhead and underground systems including substations, and low voltage network systems. Knowledge of associated equipment, standards and system connectivity.
- Ability to work with blueprints, sketches, technical manuals, specifications and reports.
- Intermediate working knowledge of Microsoft Office (including Excel) / Google Suite. Proficiency with CAD, OMS, GIS, SpidaCalc, CYME, and other related software tools
- Have the ability to read and interpret engineering design standards, drawings, design mark-ups and field notes.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and communication (verbal and written) skills. Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative.
- Driver’s License Class G (a driver's license and an ability to drive is required in order to discharge the essential duties of the position).
NOTE: Please note that applicants who receive any conditional offer of employment from London Hydro will be required to disclose their COVID-19 vaccination status to London Hydro as a condition of employment, in accordance with London Hydro’s COVID-19 Vaccination Status Disclosure Policy.
About London Hydro
For over a century, London Hydro has been providing safe, affordable and reliable electricity to a diverse customer base. We are one of the area’s larger employers, with a highly skilled and motivated team of people across many different occupations. Through this dedicated team and an extensive network of overhead and underground power lines, we power over 166,000 homes and businesses, and continue to improve the way people live and work.
Living in London offers many lifestyle benefits. Develop your career at London Hydro.
Watch the short video below for more details!
See our website for information about London Hydro and Sustainability / ESG.
For more information, and to apply:
To find out more about London Hydro, as well as this and other opportunities to join our team, please visit our website at www.londonhydro.com. If you are both qualified and safety-focused, we invite you to submit your cover letter and resume as a single document (in .pdf or .docx format only), saving the file as your last name and first name with no spaces (i.e., LastnameFirstname) by Friday, March 15, 2024 to: Human Resources Department, London Hydro Inc., P.O. Box 2700, London, ON N6A 4H6. Fax: 519-661-5164. E-mail (quote Engineering Technologist) in the subject lineand ensure that you attach your resume): email@example.com. The successful candidate will be required to complete a Criminal Record Check prior to the commencement of employment. An education check may also be conducted.
London Hydro is committed to fostering a corporate culture and climate that values and supports a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization. We know that our employees are our greatest strength, and that we will achieve our goals through the innovation, integrity, and agility of a diverse, engaged and talented workforce.
London Hydro is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation is available under the Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. While we appreciate all applications received, only those invited for an interview will be acknowledged. Any personal information submitted will be managed in accordance with the requirements of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used only to determine eligibility for employment. In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, this advertisement is directed to applicants who are authorized to work in Canada.